Kevin And Don Respond To Being Self Loathing

Looking back at their journey from the Stonewall Democratic Club to Log Cabin Republicans, they claim it was one that was actually started by the democrats. After being told that marriage as not a priority on the agenda in 1995, they became disillusioned with the DEMS. For a decade they felt like they did not belong until they met the republicans of the Log Cabin Republican Club and discovered they too shared a dream of marriage equality. This blog is now a digital time capsule of their time as Republicans and moderated by a friend and supporter.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Goldwater Republicans


Don & myself just got back from the Log Cabin Republican/Liberty Education Forum Convention in Denver and got to meet and hang out with Barry Goldwater's granddaughter C.C. Goldwater and her brother Ty Goldwater. C.C. is known for her documentary, "Mr. Conservative: Goldwater on Goldwater" that premiered on H.B.O. and will soon be released on DVD.
Both C.C. and Ty personalized the story for us. During the screening of Mr. Conservative, I was fortunate enough to sit with C.C. and Ty and Ty would offer his own commentary on the film. It was sur-Real/Reel. We hung out with them until 1:30 AM discusing their memories of a true conservative, Barry Goldwater and the Goldwater legacy. The more and more I spent time with them, I realized that if I was able to vote in '64, I probably would have been a Goldwater Republican but as the documentary brought out, Hilary Clinton was a Goldwater Republican too, so I do not know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
Regardless, discussing the Goldwater legacy with the grandchildren of a true convervative icon was a memory that I will cherish forever and I hope to see C.C. and Ty again someday. I look at that photo I posted and we really do look happy in it. I believe it is a reflection of the truly wonderful people I was blessed with spending time with on the night of May 4/5th. In a way, I miss them.