Kevin And Don Respond To Being Self Loathing

Looking back at their journey from the Stonewall Democratic Club to Log Cabin Republicans, they claim it was one that was actually started by the democrats. After being told that marriage as not a priority on the agenda in 1995, they became disillusioned with the DEMS. For a decade they felt like they did not belong until they met the republicans of the Log Cabin Republican Club and discovered they too shared a dream of marriage equality. This blog is now a digital time capsule of their time as Republicans and moderated by a friend and supporter.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Assembly Bill 102 aka AB 102 aka The Names Bill

The Unofficially Entitled Kevin & Don Bill aka A.B. 102 Gives Domestic Partners Equal Opportunity To take Surname of Choice.
In September of 2003 when domestic partners were granted all the same rights and privileges of married couples, we though it was natural and in fact normal to select one single last name. We chose the name "Norte". The bill became effective January 1, 2004. Soon thereafter Don brought his Domestic Partnership document to the DMV and requested a Name Change. He wisely also brought along a copy of the DMVs regulations which he downloaded and printed out. It, at that time, recognized Domestic Partners. Don was issued his driver's license, and then went to the Wilshire Branch of the Social Security Administration Office to change his name on his Social Security Card. It took about 4 hours and they had to call Virginia to make sure it was ok. It was. Don then sent in his passport using the marriage form via US mail to the State Department and his name was changed.
Unfortunately, soon after we exercised our rights, the DMV changed their internal regs and refused to recognize Domestic Partnership name changes.
Now, there has to be a bill, unofficially named in honor of us, but it is a waste of money for taxpayers. We changed Don's sur-name. The bill is necessary because the DMV changed the regs. What a waste of taxpayer money.
AB 102, introduced on Jan. 3 by Assemblymember Fiona Ma, D-San Francisco, specifies that all Californians have the right to select a surname of their choice when they marry or enter into a domestic partnership. The legislation also requires the California Department of Motor Vehicles to issue a new driver's license or identification card with the new, chosen name upon presentation of a marriage license or certificate of domestic partnership. Six states currently recognize this naming right.
This bill is a waste of money because the same thing could be accomplished by changing the DMV regulations to what they were when Don changed his name.
California's current domestic partnership laws do address all the rights married couples have and the the issue of taking a new surname is a waste of taxpayer money but apparently, it is necessary.
We urge you to support AB 102 because it advances domestic partnership laws.
AB 102 is expected to be heard in Assembly committees this March.


The DMV recently changed their regs after I started writhing to various members of the government in Sacramento. I do not know who did it, but it was done. Here are the regs.

True Full Name
Your true full name appears on your BD/LP document. If you change your name, then you must provide one of the following documents to verify your name change:
Adoption documents that contain the legal name as a result of the adoption.
A name change document that contains the legal name both before and after the name change.
Marriage certificate (issued from a local or state Office of Vital Statistics).
A certificate, declaration, or registration document verifying the formation of a domestic partnership.
Dissolution of marriage document that contains the legal name as a result of the court action.
A completed Medical Information Authorization form (DL 328) in conjunction with a gender change.
This document must be issued by a government agency within the United States or a foreign jurisdiction that is authorized to issue such documents. The document must be a legible and unaltered original or certified copy with a government seal, stamp or other official imprint. You will need to surrender your current driver license and/or ID card.
Information about birth date/legal presence documents.
Information on how to change your name.